This time of year I look forward to making savory and warm dishes to warm the soul. As we know from Ayurveda balance in life can start with balanced meals. This dish is one that satisfies the taste buds and is balance of flavor in one dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter, or Ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini**
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated**
- 10 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream or Greek yogurt or one 8oz pack of cream cheese**
- Add some Six Taste Spice to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat before adding the basil.
**Vegan or dairy sensitive, no problem! Substitute with your favorite dairy free products.